7.13.2012

Dance in the Rain

raindrops
"Dance in the Rain"--watercolor and mixed media collage
raindropsDT2
The rain permeates even to the deepest of the thirsty layers of "soil"
blue papers
the collection of vintage and hand-painted papers that inspired "Dance in the Rain"
raindrops
I cut the raindrops free-hand. Arranging them was more challenging than I expected!
raindropsDT

I had the idea that perhaps just like snowflakes, no two raindrops (or teardrops) are the same--each one brings its own unique nourishment and growth into our lives, enriching and deepening the soil of our hearts to cultivate mysterious gardens that flourish even in suffering and hardship.

Inspired by Isaiah 55, as I cut each one of these paper raindrops (and quite a few more that I didn't use here!), I thought about how not a single teardrop falls unnoticed by the One who loves us; each drop in the rain of trial and hardship has a purpose.

Oh, that we could just learn to DANCE in the rain, to drink up its overflowing abundance for our thirsty souls!

Linking up with Studio JRUPaint Party and Illustration Friday. Happy weekend!


Isaiah 55: Invitation to the Thirsty 
1 “Is anyone thirsty?    
    Come and drink—
    even if you have no money!
Come, take your choice of wine or milk—
    it’s all free!
2 Why spend your money on food that does not give you strength?
    Why pay for food that does you no good?
Listen to me, and you will eat what is good.
    You will enjoy the finest food.
3 “Come to me with your ears wide open.
    Listen, and you will find life...
8 “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord.
    “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.

9 For just as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so my ways are higher than your ways
    and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.
10 “The rain and snow come down from the heavens
    and stay on the ground to water the earth.
They cause the grain to grow,
    producing seed for the farmer
    and bread for the hungry.
11 It is the same with my word.
    I send it out, and it always produces fruit.
It will accomplish all I want it to,
    and it will prosper everywhere I send it.
12 You will live in joy and peace.
    The mountains and hills will burst into song,
    and the trees of the field will clap their hands!
13 Where once there were thorns, cypress trees will grow.
    Where nettles grew, myrtles will sprout up.
These events will bring great honor to the Lord’s name;
    they will be an everlasting sign of his power and love.”

24 comments:

  1. One of my most clung-to parts in Scripture... and yet I had to be reminded. Beautiful visual.. and thought of tear drops...known and cherished...

    ReplyDelete
  2. \what a beautiful piece! Your blues are gorgeous! thanks for including the whole vierce - needed to reread it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful!! I love the concept for this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your blues and greens and the idea that no two raindrops are the same. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the effect of these 'drops'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful a unique piece!! Well done!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this!
    My favorite art by you yet!!
    Blue is my favorite color. :)
    Also, is that washi tape holding it up? So cute!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! I think this is one of my favorites too. And yes, it is Washi tape! I thought the yellow measuring tape matched perfectly with the colors and theme of my "brand."

      Delete
  8. Lovely piece, great colors and texture too. HPPF on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the idea of all the raindrops being as different as snowflakes. They are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your comments! So glad you like my raindrops :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful, Sadee. . .the art and the inspiration. Something about water is always so calming to me (I just caught myself letting a peaceful sigh escape :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful images as always and love those vintage papers and things... one of the down sides of living in such a new country like Australia is that we just never get access to beautiful old things like that... thank goodness for the internet....have another creative week xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your work! I subscribe to your blog and have been wanting to see more of this piece, which you had briefly shown in a previous post. I love it! Great use of color and composition without being over the top either! xo Kate

    P.S. I have a giveaway and I'd love for you or anyone else to join. This is my first give-away, if you have any tips how to make this better I'd appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Sadee
    I am delighted to discover your wonderful blog with ALL your TALENT!
    I think a very interesting job with a great reflection.
    Congratulations!!!
    Best regards,
    Maribel M.B

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet loveliness! I love your work and am so happy we have discovered one another! Your work is pure joy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, Sadee! I actually started a similar sketch and idea several weeks ago. I love the thought of rain drops washing down over us. Love your piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So BEAUTIFUL!! I love this painting and the concept with it.
    Catherine Denton

    ReplyDelete
  18. When we were in the worst/hardest part of our adoption I clung to this verse. Knowing that God didn't see my tears as foolish was a comfort. (it seemed like I was continually crying) the fact that they would be so important that he would collect them. Profound.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!